Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

 

Monday 22 February 2021

RUTH, A WOMAN OF CHARACTER

Opening Verse: And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Ruth 1:16

Bible Text: Ruth 1:6-18

More Texts: Josh 24:15; Ruth 2:11-12; 2Sam 15:21; 2King 2:2-6; Isa 49:15; Matt 13:20-21; Lk 14:26-33; John 6:68, 13:37; Act 21:13; 2Corint 6:14-18; Heb 12:1-4; 1John 2:19; 5:11-13

Message of the Day: There are topics we can not teach with depth without at least a mention of Ruth. When we talk of steadfastness Ruth stood shoulder high above men and women. When we talk of virtuous woman, she was specifically recognized as virtuous in the word of God. Her background as a Moabitess would first give her out as a candidate for promiscuity. But not Ruth. She passed the test can anything good come out of Nazareth? Ruth was eminent and prominent in character. She was a rare woman of character. The temptation must have been too high for Ruth not to remain in Moab. Her sister in-law turned back at a single turn of the wheel. Relocating to Israel from her Moab root could be discouraging as she would face a test of discrimination.

Moab and Israel were not known to be best of friends. To show how complex the problem was she was following a widow, this was a widow following a widow both with stark reality of blank future. All these would not discourage Ruth, she was a woman of character. It would be difficult to teach character with complete omission of Ruth. Ruth chose to follow the God of Israel. The God of Israel did not disappoint her. In Christ we can not be disappointed. He will turn around for good our disappointed life. Let us read the character played out of this lady, we pray for duplicates of such in our generation. Her memorable words to her mother in-law as they were leaving Moab:  And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me. Ruth 1:16-17.

Hear Boaz who at that time did not know Ruth was about to be his wife: And Boaz answered and said unto her, It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in-law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore. The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust. Ruth 2:11-12.

From You to God: Lord God, build me a person of character in Jesus name.

Application: Live to be known for character.

Foot Note: Vacancy exists for men and women of character in the vineyard of God.

Post a Comment

0 Comments